Olympiad is a well-known esteemed exam that is undertaken both nationally and internationally all around the world. Math is one of the subjects for which the Olympiad undergoes every year.
Math is a subject that already gives nightmares to many students. So, the first question for those who would like to appear and clear this exam is how they need to start their preparation?
Well, no doubt students need to put a lot of effort to beat this esteemed exam. They need a structured plan, dedicated approach, consistent effort, and all that with the right attitude and mindset.
Practice questions are integral, especially with Maths subject. There isn’t any threshold for the number of questions one needs to solve, it depends on how many questions one feels confident about that topic.
One thing that is consistent for students in this overall journey is to measure their efforts. It is crucial to check whether their attempts or the changes they made bring expected results.
Some points are which help students to get started:
- Starting Dilemma: Since starting is the hardest step, it’s okay to feel a little lost. Students need to begin by collecting a few information about the exam like syllabus, exam pattern, any change in the process, etc. Check all these details from the official website to maintain authenticity. The Olympiads syllabus is the same as students’ respective classes, this is one of the advantages for any student. Because students already have familiarity with all the topics and have some idea on which they need to spend more or less time. It helps students to allot relative time for each particular topic.
- While looking for study materials, students must keep one thing in mind that this exam expects them to have conceptual knowledge or how these topics are applicable in relative real-life situations.
- Students need to keep track of crucial points of every topic in form of notes or cue cards because it becomes handy at the time of revision. Students also make sure to track and work on their mistakes. Because most of the time, students tend to repeat their mistakes.
- Persistent Practice: When it comes to practice questions, there are no shortcuts applicable. Don’t solve many questions of a similar kind just for the sake number of questions. Students need to solve questions of different types to test their knowledge. Students must challenge themselves consistently with a difficulty level (increase difficulty when you become comfortable with that level), time limitation (try to solve more and more questions in a given time), etc. Students need to solve mock question papers regularly to check their approach, time taking (how much time they take to solve a particular section), an issue facing area, etc.
- Structured Strategy: The point of the strategy is to overcome barriers that help to achieve the target. A few crucial aspects of students’ strategy for this exam are to cover the entire syllabus, practice enough questions to feel confident, spare time for revision, maintain physical and mental health, and give the best performance in the exam. Students need to provide suitable preferences to each one, also allot time accordingly.
- In the Exam: Students must keep in mind that every question paper has all kinds of questions. Some of them are easy, a few moderate, and some are hard. So don’t give too much time to one particular question. Sometimes students were not able to solve the question on a topic they were most confident in, so don’t take that on ego and move ahead. Students need to understand that they don’t have to solve every question. They need to play smart, again don’t spend much time on a question. Because this helps students in one way by reducing their chances. Also, it’s okay if some students aren’t able to solve a few initial questions, don’t lose hope, sometimes examiners intentionally put difficult questions in the beginning to test students. Students need to stay calm and look for other opportunities that are right in front. This exam is not just to check students’ conceptual knowledge but also, how they perform under time restrictions, under performance pressure, etc.
- Proper Learning Environment: Students must make their learning environment as suitable as possible. Because students going, spend a lot of their time so make sure it’s comfortable, clean, not noisy, etc. These factors not only help to increase focus but improve productivity.
- Proper Mindest: Everything else is common among all the students or candidates but, their mindset. After a point, it depends on students’ mindset that how they perceive things around themselves. Students need to understand the current situation, a few things they need to work on, and how to do that. Students need to understand the exam pattern from previous years’ question papers to prepare accordingly. Don’t focus too much on the difficulty level of the examination because it is similar for each candidate. Students need to focus on things they have control over and the things they can change and improve.
- Follow a Healthy Lifestyle: It is no secret that students have to take care of their health for the best possible results. When it comes to health, both physical and mental health is equally important. Students need to include proper nutritious and light meals, take a good amount of sleep of about 6-7 hours, including some physical sport in their daily schedule. Also, include small breaks after every few hours while studying (in these breaks, do some physical movements like stretching, it helps to channelize the blood flow). Ultimately, students must recharge, refresh themselves regularly in their ways. Don’t burn out before the exam.
You can refer to IMO Maths Olympiad Class 9 Previous Year Question Paper.
Students must understand the nuances of this exam, the things they focused on, and how to handle these things for desired results. For best results, keep all these points in mind and start your preparation. Olympiad, Olympiad.
Read also: The best tips to study for IMO for class 5.